City Nature Challenge:
Over 30 Indian cities are set to participate in the City Nature Challenge, an app-based competition that records observations of nature.
- Under this initiative, participants can use the iNaturalist app (available for Android and Apple phones) to click and upload a photo of natural flora and fauna.
- The app uses Artificial Intelligence to suggest the species name. Community members will collaborate to confirm these suggestions.
- GPS coordinates for the observation are picked up automatically from the image data.
- Once an observation is confirmed, it becomes available to scientists and researchers who can use this data to research different plant and animal species or determine the biodiversity in a region.
- The Bombay Natural History Society, World Wide Fund for Nature-India, and The Naturalist School have partnered to lead this event.
- The event was first organised in the U.S. in 2016 by the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County and San Francisco’s California Academy of Sciences