After the success of CoWin as a platform for the nationwide COVID-19 vaccination, the Union government is looking to repurpose the technology for more healthcare requirements.
- The Covid-19 vaccination platform Co-WIN is set to be repurposed for Universal Immunisation program as well as blood donation.
- This announcement was made by CoWin Chief & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of National Health Authority, Dr RS Sharma.
- This platform will later be used for organ donation. Besides India, Guyana signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with India to use this platform for their vaccination program.
- CoWIN stands for “Covid Vaccine Intelligence Network”.
- It is a web portal for COVID-19 vaccination registration in India.
- Indian Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare own and operate the platform.
- It showcases booking slots of COVID-19 vaccine, that are available in nearby areas.
- One can book the vaccination slot on the website.
- It also provides vaccination certificates to the beneficiaries.
- The vaccination certificates serve as “Vaccine Passports” during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Certificate can be stored in Digilocker.
- CoWIN has also been integrated with the Aarogya Setu and UMANG Apps.