Delhi Special Police Establishment (Amendment) Bill, 2021:
Parliament has passed the Delhi Special Police Establishment (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- The Bill will replace the ordinance promulgated in this regard.
- The Bill seeks to amend the Delhi Special Police Establishment Act, 1946. Under the Act, the minimum tenure of the Director of Central Bureau of Investigation is of two years.
- The Bill permits extension of the tenure of the CBI Director up to one year at a time, till the completion of five years from the initial date of appointment.
- Such extensions may be granted in the public interest, on the recommendation of the Committee.
- In several countries, the term of Director and Chief of premier investigation agency is in the range of 6 to 10 years, and in the case of CBI, the tenure of Director is fixed as a minimum of 2 years but how much beyond it, is not defined.
- He said, with a view to make the Agency more democratized and institutionalized, the amendment to the existing Act has been brought. He said, after two years the tenure of Director of CBI will be extended for one year at a time.