Demands For a Separate Bhil Pradesh:
The demands for a “Bhil Pradesh” have of late begun to be raised again.
- Bhil Pradesh is a demand for a separate state for tribal people in western India.
- The demand is to carve out a separate state from 39 districts spread over four states: 16 in Gujarat, 10 in Rajasthan, seven in Madhya Pradesh, and six in Maharashtra.
- Bhil social reformer and spiritual leader Govind Guru first raised the demand for a separate state for tribals back in 1913 after the Mangarh massacre.
- The locals say, after the division of states, tribals in the region were scattered. T
- his suppressed their collective voices. As a result, most schemes related to their development have not benefited them.
- Bhils or Bheels are an Adivasi ethnic group in West India. Bhils are listed as tribal people of the states of Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and Rajasthan.
- Bhils are one of the largest tribal group in India. They speak the Bhil languages.