E-20 Fuel: Soon To Be Launched
Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister has recently said that India will soon launch E-20 fuel with 20% blending of ethanol.
- The E20 fuel is a twenty percent blend of Ethanol and eighty percent of fossil-based fuel.
- The introduction of E20 fuel has the motive of reducing the reliance on fossil-based fuels for building a more sustainable society for the future and reducing vehicular emissions.
- It is expected to reduce air pollution, being lesser polluting than petrol.
- The government foresees oil import savings to the tune of Rs. 30,000 crores annually.
- Ethanol fuel is ethyl alcohol, the same type of alcohol found in alcoholic drinks.
- It is most commonly utilized as a motor fuel, primarily as a biofuel addition in gasoline.
- Biomass is commonly utilized for making ethanol, such as corn or sugarcane. India’s abundance of sugarcane production is pivotal to the push toward ethanol-based fuel.