Gandhamardan Hills : Third Biodiversity Heritage Site In Odisha
Gandhamardan hills were named the third biodiversity heritage site in Odisha recently.
- The Gandhamardan hill (Gandhamardan Reserve Forest) spreads in Bargarh and Balangir districts in Odisha.
- This ecologically fragile ecosystem is rich in floral and faunal diversity and is protected under the Odisha Biodiversity Rules,2012.
- Biodiversity heritage site are well-defined areas that are unique, ecologically fragile ecosystems.
- They have a high diversity of wild and domesticated species, the presence of rare and threatened species, and keystone species.
- Under Section 37 of Biological Diversity Act, 2002 the State Government in consultation with local bodies may notify the areas of biodiversity importance as Biodiversity Heritage Sites.
- There are 36 Biodiversity Heritage Site in India.