India Smart Cities Awards 2020:
The Union ministry of housing and urban affairs has released the list of India smart cities awards (ISCA) 2020.
- Uttar Pradesh emerged on the top among all states, followed by Madhya Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
- Indore (Madhya Pradesh) and Surat (Gujarat) won the award jointly for their overall development.
- Ahmedabad bagged the ‘Smart Cities Leadership Award’ and Chandigarh, the award for union territories, while Indore won the “Innovative Idea Award”.
Parameters used for ranking:
- These rankings were arrived at by the government on the basis of several parameters such as social aspects, governance, culture, urban environment, sanitation, economy, built environment, water, urban mobility.
- For the year of the pandemic, additional parameters of sustainable business model of Integrated Command and Control Centres and innovation in Covid-19 management were also counted for the awards.
Smart Cities mission:
- GoI launched the smart cities mission in 2015.
- The objective is to integrate city functions, utilize scarce resources more efficiently, and improve the quality of life of citizens.
- It is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme.