German Peace Prize 2023:
Renowned author Salman Rushdie has been awarded the prestigious Peace Prize of the German Book Trade for his literary work and his unwavering spirit in the face of constant danger.
- The prize organizers commended Rushdie’s narrative vision, literary innovation, humour, and wisdom.
- Despite the physical and psychological consequences he has faced, including a stabbing incident in 2022, Rushdie continues to write imaginatively and with a deeply human approach.
- The jury recognized his resolve, positive attitude, and the enriching impact he has on the world through his storytelling.
- Since 1950, the Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels, the professional organisation of publishers and booksellers in the Federal Republic of Germany, has awarded the Peace Prize of the German Book Trade.
- Every year since 1950, the Foundation Board of the Peace Prize has selected a personality who has made an important contribution to peace, humanity and understanding between peoples.