Urban Local Bodies (ULB) Reforms:
Goa becomes the 6th State to complete Urban Local Bodies (ULB) reforms. Gets additional borrowing permission of Rs. 223 crore.
- Goa has joined five other States namely, Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Manipur, Rajasthan, and Telangana, who have completed ULB reforms.
- Reforms in ULBs and the urban utility reforms are aimed at financial strengthening of ULBs in the States and to enable them to provide better public health and sanitation services to citizens. Economically rejuvenated ULBs will also be able to create good civic infrastructure.
The set of reforms stipulated by the Department of Expenditure are:
- The State will notify:
- Floor rates of property tax in ULBs which are in consonance with the prevailing circle rates (i.e. guideline rates for property transactions) and;
- Floor rates of user charges in respect of the provision of water supply, drainage, and sewerage which reflect current costs/past inflation.
- The State will put in place a system of periodic increases in floor rates of property tax/ user charges in line with price increases.
Besides, the center had identified four citizen-centric areas for reforms. They are:
- Implementation of One Nation One Ration Card System
- Ease of doing business reform
- Urban Local body/ utility reforms
- Power Sector reforms.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking