Major Ports Authorities Bill – 2020:
The “Major Ports Authorities Bill, 2020” was passed in the Rajya Sabha on February 10, 2020. The bill was passed using the ballot votes.
Significance of the Bill:
- The Union minister of state for ports, shipping, and waterways, Mansukh Mandaviya, highlighted that the bill will encourage good competition within the major private ports.
- The bill also boosts port land usage and it will amplify competition in port tariffs.
Provisions of the bill:
- The bill aims to provide more autonomy in decision-making.
- It will provide autonomy to the 12 major ports of India, Namely’
- The bill will also professionalize the governance of the port with the formation of boards.
- The bill will replace the Major Port Trusts Act, 1963.
- It comprises of the provisions of creating a Board of Major Port Authority for each major port that in turn will replace the existing Port Trusts.