Gujarat Freedom Of Religion (Amendment) Bill, 2021:
Gujarat Governor has given his assent to the Gujarat Freedom of Religion (Amendment) Bill, 2021, which has been projected as the “anti-love jihad” Bill.
- The Bill was passed in the state assembly during the budget session held in March 2021.
- The Gujarat Freedom of Religion (Amendment) Bill 2021 proposes punishment of 3-10 years in jail for forcible or fraudulent religious conversions through marriage.
- The bill amends the Gujarat Freedom of Religion Act, 2003.
- The amendment aims to reduce the “emerging trend” where women are “lured to marriage” for the purposes of religious conversion.
- The 2003 act dealt with religious conversions through “force or by misrepresentation or by any other fraudulent means”.
- The amendment bill mentioned promises of a better lifestyle, impersonation, and ‘divine blessing’.
- The states of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh also enacted similar “anti-love jihad” laws that banned “fraudulent” conversions through marriage.