India, Philippines Ink Deal For BrahMos Missiles:
Philippines has signed a $374.96-million deal with BrahMos Aerospace Private Ltd. for the supply of shore-based anti-ship variant of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile.
- This is the first export order for the missile, a joint product of India and Russia.
- BrahMos is a joint venture between DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation) and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroyeniya.
- The missile derives its name from the Brahmaputra and Moskva rivers.
- It is capable of being launched from land, sea, sub-sea and air against surface and sea-based targets and has for long been inducted by the Indian armed forces.
- The range of the missile was originally capped at 290 km as per obligations of the Missile Technology Control Regime.
- Following India’s entry into the club in June 2016, officials said the range would be extended to 450 km and 600 km at a later stage.