Saudi Arabia Foreign Minister’s Visit:
The Indian External Affairs Minister met the Foreign Minister of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
About the Meeting:
- Cooperation in Multilateral Forums: Discussed bilateral cooperation in multilateral forums such as the United Nations, G-20 and Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).
- India is not a member of GCC.
- Implementation of the Strategic Partnership Council Agreement (signed in 2019):
- India-Saudi Strategic Partnership Council was formed to coordinate on strategically important issues.
- The council will be headed by the Prime Minister and Crown Prince Mo hammed and will meet every two years.
- India is the fourth country with which Saudi Arabia has formed such a strategic partnership, after the UK, France and China.
- Saudi Arabia has been a strategic partner of India since the signing of the Riyadh Declaration in 2010.
- Focus on the Developments in Afghanistan and Other Regional Issues: Saudi Arabia, along with Pakistan and the UAE, were the key backers of the Taliban regime that ruled Kabul from 1996 till 2001 when they were ousted by US-led international troops.
- Strengthening Partnership: Discussed further steps to strengthen their partnership in trade, investment, energy, defence, security, culture, consular issues, health care, and human resources.