Indian Environment Service (IES):
The Supreme Court asked the Centre to establish a dedicated Indian Environment Service (IES) at the all-India level.
- The creation of IES was recommended by a committee headed by former Cabinet Secretary TSR Subramanian in 2014.
- It will act as an expert group in the public and quasi-governmental sectors over the next decades, regarding environmental matters.
- The constant environmental degradation, ecological imbalance, climate change, water scarcity, etc. are a great concern for India.
- The citizens are facing many environmental issues such as air pollution, water pollution, non-eradication of solid waste and garbage and pollution of the natural environment.
- One of the major causes of environmental degradation is the flaw of the existing system that lies in the enforcement capabilities of environmental institutions at various levels.
- IES will overlap with the already existing one All India Service (Indian Forest Service).
- Apart from this, IES will also pose the challenge to federal structure.