International Civil Aviation Organisation Ranking:
India is among the top 50 countries with best aviation safety in the latest ICAO rankings.
- In the rankings by the ICAO, India is now at the 48th position, a “quantum leap” from the 102nd rank it had in 2018.
- The rankings are for 187 countries and assessments were done at different points of time.
- Under its Universal Safety Oversight Audit Programme (USOAP) Continuous Monitoring Approach, an ICAO Coordinated Validation Mission (ICVM) was undertaken from November 9 to 16.
- The rankings are topped by Singapore with a score of 99.69 per cent. It is followed by the UAE at the second position and the Republic of Korea is at the third place.
- With a score of 49 per cent each, India and Georgia are at the 48th position. Neighbouring Pakistan is at the 100th spot with a score of 70.39 per cent.
- ICAO is funded and directed by 193 national governments to support their diplomacy and cooperation in air transport as signatory states to the Chicago Convention (1944).
- ‘Chicago Convention’ established the core principles permitting international transport by air, and led to the creation of the specialized agency which has overseen it ever since – the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
- ICAO develops standards for global air transport and assists its 192 Member States in sharing the world’s skies to their socio-economic benefit.
- Headquarters: Montreal, Canada