International Day Of Sign Languages:
Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre, an autonomous body under the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, celebrated ‘Sign Language Day’.
- International Day of Sign Languages (IDSL) is celebrated annually across the world on 23 September.
- This year’s theme was “Sign Language Unite Us.”
- Objective of this day is to protect the linguistic identity and cultural diversity of all deaf people and other sign language users.
- ISLRTC launched the Indian Sign Language Dictionary (ISL Dictionary) in 2021 which is being used by deaf people, special teachers, parents of deaf children, linguists etc.
- To make this ISL dictionary easily accessible, ISLRTC along with Federal Institute of Science and Technology (FISAT), Kerala has developed an Indian Sign Language Dictionary APP known as ‘Sign Learn’.