Israel Recently Deployed Sky Dew:
Israel recently deployed Sky Dew along the Lebanese border as tensions with Hezbollah escalated.
- Sky Dew is a massive balloon-like structure in the shape of a puffed aircraft.
- The high-altitude observation balloon acts as a detection radar blip for small unmanned aircraft and cruise missiles.
- It is one of the largest aerial threat warning systems in the world.
- The technology has been jointly developed by Israel Defence and US company The project was entirely funded by the U.S. Department of Defence.
- The Israel Air Force was handed over the Sky Dew in 2022.
- The system comprises a blimp capable of flying at high altitudes with radar and detection systems to scan a wide range in any direction.
- The radar on the balloon is capable of observing at 250 km and tracking multiple targets, including low-altitude ones and those in valleys.
- It can carry 7,000 pounds and has an operational altitude of 10,000 feet.
It offers a significant advantage in its ability to remain in surveillance for extended periods without needing fuel or crew replacement.