Infant Mortality Rate:
The country’s female Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) dropped to same level as males
- India has registered a decline in female infant mortality rate.
- In sixteen states, IMR remained higher for female babies than male but the gap had reduced since 2011.
- According to Sample Registration System Statistical Report 2020, Chhattisgarh had the highest gap in 2020, with a male infant mortality rate of 35 compared to female infant mortality rate of 41.
- Infant mortality is the death of an infant before his or her first birthday.
- The infant mortality rate is the number of infant deaths for every 1,000 live births.
- In addition to giving us key information about maternal and infant health, the infant mortality rate is an important marker of the overall health of a society.