The sixth edition of Japan India Maritime Exercise 2022 (JIMEX 22) hosted by Indian Navy commenced in the Bay of Bengal on 11 September 2022.
- The Japan Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF) ships are being led by R Adm Hirata Toshiyuki, Commander Escort Flotilla Four, and Indian Naval ships by R Adm Sanjay Bhalla, Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet.
- JIMEX 22 involves two Phases; exercises at sea and a harbour phase at Visakhapatnam.
- This edition marks the 10th anniversary of JIMEX, which began in Japan in 2012.
- It also coincides with the 70th anniversary of establishing of diplomatic relations between India and Japan.
- JIMEX 22 seeks to consolidate the high degree of interoperability that exists between maritime forces of the two countries, through complex exercises in the surface, sub-surface and air domains.