National Lists Of Essential Medicines (NLEM) 2022:
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Dr Mansukh Mandaviya, launched National Lists of Essential Medicines (NLEM) 2022.
- 384 drugs have been included in this list with addition of 34 drugs, while 26 from the previous list have been dropped.
- The medicines have been categorized into 27 therapeutic categories.
- The following criteria are followed for inclusion in NLEM:
- be useful in diseases which is a public health problem in India
- be licensed/ approved Drugs Controller General (India) (DCGI)
- have proven efficacy and safety profile based on scientific evidence
- be comparatively cost effective
- be aligned with the current treatment guidelines
- recommended under National Health Programs of India. (e.g. Ivermectin part of Accelerated Plan for Elimination of Lymphatic Filariasis 2018).
- when more than one medicine are available from the same therapeutic class, one prototype/ medically best suited medicine of that class to be included.
- price of total treatment is considered and not the unit price of a medicine
- fixed dose combinations are usually not included
- vaccines as and when are included in Universal Immunization Program (e.g. Rotavirus vaccine).