In Odisha, scientists are now fine-tuning their research to make a presentation for the Geographical Indications (GI) registry of Kai chutney.
- Applied under food category, the GI tag will help develop a structured hygiene protocol in the preparation of Kai chutney for standard wider use.
- Geographical Indications labels enhance the reputation and value of local products and support local businesses.
- People often keep a safe distance from red weaver ants as their sting inflicts a sharp pain and reddish bumps on the skin.
- Despite this, weaver ants are popular among the tribes of Mayurbhanj district in Odisha for the mouth-watering dish made of them — the Kai chutney.
- This savoury food item, rich in proteins, calcium, zinc, vitamin B-12, iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium, copper, fibre and 18 amino acids, is known to boost the immune system.
- Weaver ants, Oecophylla smaragdina, are abundantly found in Mayurbhanj throughout the year.
- They make nests with leaves of host trees.