Saving Chenkurinji from climate change
- The Shendurney Wildlife Sanctuary derives its name from Gluta travancorica, a species endemic to the Agasthyamala Biosphere Reserve known as ‘Chenkurinji’ in local parlance.
- Shendurney Wildlife Sanctuary is a protected area in the Western Ghats, India, located in Kollam district of Kerala and comes under the control of Agasthyamalai Biosphere Reserve.
- Medicinal properties and are used to lower blood pressure and treat arthritis.
- The heartwood is quite sturdy with deep red colour thus attracting the wood industry.
- ‘Save Chenkurinji’, is a campaign to be implemented in various areas to create awareness regarding its conservation.