Registration Of Press And Periodicals Bill, 2019:
Government will revive the Registration of Press and Periodicals Bill, 2019 for a new registration regime for newspapers that will include digital Media as well (the current registration framework doesn’t include digital news)
- It will replace the Press and Registration of Books Act, 1867 ( the act currently regulates the newspaper and printing press industry)
- It will enable the Central and State Government to formulate appropriate rules or regulations for issuing govt advertisements in newspapers, accreditation of newspapers and such other facilities for newspapers.
- Create a Press Registrar General along with laying down a simple system of registration of e-papers.
- It is mandatory for the editor of the periodical to be an Indian citizen.
- Allows anyone who is a citizen of India to bring out its publication
- Bill seeks to punish the concerned only with a fine (the previous bill had fine + imprisonment)