Kalakkad-Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve: Restrict The Entry Of Outsiders
The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court recently ordered notice to the State on a public interest litigation petition that sought a direction to restrict the entry of outsiders and vehicles inside Kalakkad-Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve.
- Kalakkad-Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve is located in the Southern Western Ghats in the Tirunelveli and Kanyakumari districts of Tamil Nadu.
- It was established as a Tiger Reseve in 1988.
- This reserve is a mixture of three main sanctuaries: Kalakad Sanctuary, Mundanthurai Sanctuary, and a part of Kanyakumari Sanctuary.
- Nestled between Kerala and Tamil Nadu, the Agastya Malai Hill Range forms the core area of the sanctuary and is part of one of the world’s 18 biodiversity hotspots.
- The reserve is also known as the “River Sanctuary”, with as many as 14 rivers originating from this Tiger Reserve.