Koraput Kalajeera Rice : GI Tag
Koraput Kalajeera Rice,’ an aromatic rice, has got Geographical Indications status.
- The farmers of Koraput district in Odisha have domesticated Kalajeera rice over generations.
- It is known as the ‘Prince of Rice’ and is an aromatic variety of rice.
- The ancestors of the present tribal communities of Koraput district have domesticated the rice in the region for thousands of years, contributing to the conservation of the crop.
- It is popular among rice consumers for its black colour, good aroma, taste and texture.
- The ancient text explains that Kalajeera rice improves memory and controls diabetes.
- It is believed to increase haemoglobin levels and the body’s metabolism.
- This fragrant grain has antispasmodic, stomachic, carminative, antibacterial, astringent and sedative properties.
- The rice is grown in Koraput district’s Tolla, Patraput, Pujariput, Baliguda and Mohuli areas.