Kuvempu Award 2020:
Odia poet Dr. Rajendra Kishore Panda has been selected for the Kuvempu Rashtriya Puraskar (award) 2020.
- Dr. Panda, born in 1944, is a poet and novelist from Odisha. He has published 16 poetry collections and a novel.
- He was presented the Gangadhar National Award in 2010, and the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1985.
- It is a national award instituted in memory of the late poet laureate Kuvempu.
- The award is given annually to a writer who has contributed in any of the languages recognised by the Constitution of India.
- The award carries a cash award of Rs. 5 lakh, a silver medal and a citation.
- Kuppali Venkatappa Puttappa, popularly known by his pen name Kuvempu, was an Indian poet, playwright, novelist and critic.
- He is widely regarded as the greatest Kannada poet of the 20th century.
- He was the first Kannada writer to be decorated with the Jnanpith Award for his version of the Ramayana titled ‘Sri Ramayana Darshanam.’