Lab Grown Meat:
Recently meat and seafood retailer Licious forayed into the marketing of “mock” chicken and mutton under a new ‘UnCrave’ brand.
- “Plant-based” refers to products that bio-mimic or replicate meat, seafood, eggs, and milk derived from animals by looking, smelling, and tasting like them.
- Plant-based dairy products include ice-cream that isn’t simply frozen dessert that replaces milk fat with vegetable oil.
- Even the proteins and other solids-not-fat ingredients are sourced from plants.
- As for plant-based dairy, the main products are milk from oats, almond, soyabean, coconut, and rice. Among these, oat milk is considered the closest to regular milk in taste and texture.
- These are made by Animal meat contains protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, and water, just like plants.
- This biochemical similarity allows for finding analogues in the plant kingdom or making them through mechanical, chemical, or biological treatment of such ingredients.
- The challenge lies in replicating muscle tissue that plants don’t have. The unique spatial arrangement of proteins in these tissues is what creates the distinct texture of animal meat.
- That’s why plant-based mutton samosas, kebabs or keema, having a simpler texture, are easier to make than larger whole cuts of animal meat.