It has been found that LockBit ransomware was found to be targeting Mac devices.
- Earlier in January 2023, the LockBit gang was reportedly behind a cyber-attack on U.K. postal services, causing international shipping to grind to a halt.
- A ransomware is a type of malware that hijacks computer data and then demands payment (usually in bitcoins) in order to restore it.
- LockBit, formerly known as “ABCD” ransomware, is a type of computer virus that enters someone’s computer and encrypts important files so they can’t be accessed.
- The virus first appeared in September 2019 and is called a “crypto virus”, because it asks for payment in cryptocurrency to unlock the files.
- LockBit is usually used to attack companies or organizations that can afford to pay a lot of money to get their files back.
- The people behind LockBit have a website on the dark web where they recruit members and release information about victims who refuse to pay.
- LockBit has been used to target companies in many different countries, including the U.S., China, India, Ukraine, and Europe.