Loss of Learning during the Pandemic:
Azim Premji University conducted a field study to assess the impact of Covid- 19 induced lockdown on students.
- The study was titled ‘Loss of Learning during the Pandemic’.
- Children missed out on the regular curricular learning they would have acquired had schools remained open.
They are also ‘forgetting’ what they had learned in the previous year.
- On average, 92% of students from Classes II to VI have lost at least one specific foundational ability in languages that they may have acquired in previous years. The corresponding figure for mathematics is 82%.
- Foundational abilities are those that form the basis for further learning Some examples of foundational abilities include reading a paragraph with comprehension, addition, and subtraction.
- In mathematics, foundation abilities include identifying single and two-digit numbers; performing arithmetic operations; using basic arithmetic operations to solve problems; and reading and drawing inferences from data, among others.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking