Ludhiana Gas Leak Tragedy : 11 People Died
11 people died due to a gas leak in the Giaspura area of Ludhiana, Punjab.
- According to the air quality sensors used by NDRF, high levels of Hydrogen Sulphide gas, a kind of neurotoxin, have been detected.
- Neurotoxins are poisonous substances which can directly affect the nervous system.
- They directly attack the respiratory tract of the body, thereby overpowering the oxygen concentration of the body and then the nervous system as well.
- Methane, hydrogen sulphide, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are common neurotoxic gases.
- While methane and carbon monoxide are odourless gases, hydrogen sulphide has a pungent odour and in higher concentrations, it can be fatal for humans.