Medical Device Parks Scheme:
The Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers has launched the Scheme for “Promotion of Medical Device Parks” to support the medical devices industry in line with Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- The medical device industry is a unique blend of engineering and medicine. It involves the creation of machines that are used to support life within the human body.
- Medical devices include Surgical Equipment, Diagnostic equipment like Cardiac imaging, CT scans, X-ray, Molecular Imaging, MRI and Ultrasound-imaging including hand – held devices; Life Support equipment like ventilator, etc. as well as Implants and Disposables.
- The easy access to standard testing and infrastructure facilities through the creation of world-class common infrastructure facilities via medical device parks.
- To reduce the cost of production of medical devices and the better availability and affordability of medical devices in the domestic market.
- The total financial outlay of the scheme is Rs 400 crore and the tenure of the scheme is from FY 2020-2021 to FY 2024-2025.
- Financial assistance to a selected Medical Device Park would be 70% of the project cost of common infrastructure facilities.
- In the case of the North-Eastern States and the Hilly States, financial assistance would be 90% of the project cost.
- Maximum assistance under the scheme for one Medical Device Park would be limited to Rs. 100 crores.
- The Centre has granted in-principal approval for the parks in Himachal Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.