‘Millets-Smart Nutritive Food’ Conclave:
Union Minister for Commerce and Industry Shri Piyush Goyal will be the Chief Guest at the ‘Millets-Smart Nutritive Food’ Conclave to be held in New Delhi on 05 December 2022.
- The Conclave is being organized by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry through its apex agricultural export promotion body, Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA).
- Objective: Promoting the export of millets.
- The Conclave is to be a pre-launch event of the ‘International Year of Millets – 2023’ (IYoM-2023).
- At the first-of-its-kind Millets Conclave, the government will release e-catalogue on 30 potential importing countries and 21 millet producing states of India.
- India is one of the leading producers of millets in the world with an estimated share of around 41 percent in the global production.
- As per FAO, world production of millets in the year 2020 was 30.464 million metric tonnes (MMT) and India’s share was 12.49 MMT, which accounts to 41 percent of the total millet production.
- India recorded 27 percent growth in millet production in 2021-22 as compared to millet production in the previous year was 15.92 MMT.
- Share of export of millets is nearly 1% of the total millet production.
- Exports of millets from India include mainly whole grain and the export of value-added products of millets from India is negligible.