The Indian Railways has delivered water to Pali district in western Rajasthan to ensure survival of Mugger Crocodile or Marsh Crocodile as the region’s water bodies have dried up due to a hot March.
- Scientific Name: Crocodylus palustris
- Description: An egg-laying and hole-nesting species, also known to be dangerous.
- Habitat: Mainly restricted to the Indian subcontinent where it may be found in a number of freshwater habitat types and also in coastal saltwater lagoons and estuaries. It is already extinct in Bhutan and Myanmar.
- Threats: Habitat destruction, fragmentation, and transformation, fishing activities and use of crocodile parts for medicinal purposes.
- Protection Status:
- IUCN List of Threatened Species: Vulnerable
- CITES: Appendix I
- Wildlife Protection Act, 1972: Schedule I