Mushkbudji Rice : Geographical Indication (GI) Tag
Mushkbudji Rice received the Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
- Mushkbudji Rice is short bold aromatic rice grown in higher reaches of Kashmir valley.
- The cooked rice is unique and possesses a harmonious blend of taste, aroma and rich organoleptic properties.
- It is mainly is grown in areas of Sagam, Panzgam and Soaf Shali of district Anantnag and Beerwah belt of district Budgam.
- The consumption of aromatic rice in Kashmir has now been limited to special occasions, marriages, and festivals.
Geographical Indication Tag:
- It is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
- This is typically used for agricultural products, foodstuffs, wine and spirit drinks, handicrafts and industrial products.
- The Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999 seeks to provide for the registration and better protection of geographical indications relating to goods in India.
- This GI tag is valid for 10 years following which it can be renewed.