Nabhmitra Device : ISRO
The ISRO-Space Applications Centre (Ahmedabad) successfully tested the Nabhmitra device at Neendakara.
- Nabhmitra device is a satellite-based communication system developed for the safety of fishermen.
- It enables two-way messaging services from and to the sea.
- The weather and cyclone warnings will be communicated in the local language, the boats can also send distress messages to the authorities.
- In emergency situations like capsizing and fire, fishers can press a button on the device and get in touch with the control centre.
- While the control centre will receive the alert, including the location of the boat, the crew on the boat will get a response message from the control centre.
- Apart from providing information about shipping channels and maritime boundaries, the device will also help to identify fishing fields.
- It was developed by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).