National Commission For Minorities:
Sardar Iqbal Singh Lalpura took charge as the Chairman, National Commission for Minorities in the presence of Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi in New Delhi.
- In 1978, Government of India, vide an executive order, set up a “Minorities Commission” to safeguard the interests of minorities.
- With the enactment of the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992, the Minorities Commission became a statutory body and was renamed as the “National Commission for Minorities”.
- To evaluate the progress of the developmental programs and legal & constitutional safeguards for the welfare of minorities.
- To Look into specific complaints regarding deprivation of the rights of minorities.
- To undertake studies/research on the issues relating to socio economic development of minorities.
- Composition: It consists of a Chairperson, a Vice Chairperson and five Members to be nominated by the Central Government from amongst persons of eminence, ability and integrity.