National Technology Day 2022 : Theme
Since 1999, May 11 is celebrated as National Technology Day to mark India’s technological advancements.
- The theme of Year 2022 is: “Integrated Approach in Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future”.
Significance of the day:
- On May 11, 1998, India detonated three nuclear bombs in the Indian Army’s Pokhran Test Range.
- Dr APJ Abdul Kalam lead the Indian team of scientists to successfully test-fire the Shakti-1 nuclear missile at Rajasthan’s Pokhran test range.
- Two days later, the country successfully tested two more nuclear weapons as a part of the same Pokhran-II/Operation Shakti initiative.
- After these tests Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee declared India a nuclear state, making it the sixth country to join the ‘nuclear club’ of nations.
- Hansa 3, India’s first indigenous aircraft was first tested on the same day in 1998 in Bangalore.
- Successful test firing of Trishul, a short range missile made in India, was also done on the same day.
- On the occasion of National Technology day, TDB hosts scientific-technology based webinars and felicitate individuals for excellent works in the field of Science and Technology every year.
- Established in 1996, TDB is a statutory body that works under the Department of Science and Technology, GOI.
- It also provides financial assistance for concerns of Indian industries and other agencies for commercialization of indigenized technologies or adoption of imported technologies for wider domestic applications.