New Pamban Bridge : Likely To Be Inaugurated By The Prime Minister
The new Pamban Bridge is likely to be inaugurated by the Prime Minister in a few months.
- New Pamban Bridge is India’s first vertical-lift railway sea bridge.
- It connects Rameswaram on Pamban Island to Mandapam on the mainland in Tamil Nadu.
- The total length of the bridge is 078 km.
- It will have 99 spans with 18.3-meter-long girders. The navigational span will be 63 metres.
- It will replace the iconic Pamban Bridge, India’s first sea bridge, which opened in 1914.
- The new bridge is being built parallel to the old Pamban Bridge by Rail Vikas Nigam Limited.
- The most unique feature of the new Pamban Bridge is its vertical lift facility. It will help boats pass under the bridge smoothly.