Pangong Tso Marathon : Ladakh Sets Guinness Record
The Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council recently launched Pangong Tso Marathon.
- The marathon is the first of its kind in India. It was held on the frozen Pangong Tso lake.
- The marathon was conducted at an altitude of 4,350 metres.
- With this, it makes the Guinness record for World’s Highest Frozen Lake Marathon. It is the first frozen lake marathon in India.
- The marathon included a 21 km long run.
- It began in Luking village.
- The marathon was organized by the Council of Ladakh along with the Adventure Sports Foundation of Ladakh.
Pangong Tso Lake:
- The lake has saline water and is completely frozen during winter.
- Researchers believe that the lake was a part of the Indus river system in early times.
- Today, however, the lake lies separated from the Indus river.
- It is the highest saltwater lake in the world.