Chennai’s Collage is hosting an art exhibition showcasing Pichwai paintings, some of which date back 350 years.
- Pichwai art originated in Nathdwara, near Udaipur, and is traditionally created on cloth, typically khadi.
- The paintings use stone pigments for gold and silver tones and vegetable dyes for vibrant colours like orange, red, chrome yellow, and kesari.
- The detailed work is meticulous and time-consuming, taking several months to complete a single piece.
- The art form has evolved over time, with modern themes and influences incorporated by artist
- .In recent years, there has been a resurgence in Pichwai art, attracting younger buyers and encouraging artists to return to their hometowns in Rajasthan to learn and continue the traditional techniques.