Tilapia Aquaculture Project:
Inspired by Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY), the Technology Development Board (TDB) has extended support to the Tilapia Aquaculture Project with Israeli Technology.
- Technology Development Board (TDB) is a statutory body under the Ministry of Science and Technology.
- The term aquaculture broadly refers to the cultivation of aquatic organisms in controlled aquatic environments for any commercial, recreational or public purpose.
- The breeding, rearing and harvesting of plants and animals takes place in all types of water environments including ponds, rivers, lakes, the ocean and man-made “closed” systems on land.
- Food production for human consumption,
- Rebuilding of populations of threatened and endangered species,
- Habitat restoration,
- Wild stock enhancement,
- Production of baitfish, and
- Fish culture for zoos and aquariums.
- Tilapia, also dubbed aquatic chicken, has emerged to be one of the most productive and internationally traded fish foods in the world.
- The culture of tilapia has become commercially popular in many parts of the world and due to its quick growth and low maintenance cultivation, it was dubbed aquatic chicken.
- Tilapia is tolerant of a variety of aquaculture environments, it can be farmed in brackish or salt water and also in pond or cage systems.