Rare Earth Elements (REE) : Found In Andhra Pradesh:
Rare earth elements are a set of seventeen metallic elements in the periodic table.
- The 17 Rare Earths are cerium (Ce), dysprosium (Dy), erbium (Er), europium (Eu), gadolinium (Gd), holmium (Ho), lanthanum (La), lutetium (Lu), neodymium (Nd), praseodymium (Pr), promethium (Pm), samarium (Sm), scandium (Sc), terbium (Tb), thulium (Tm), ytterbium (Yb), and yttrium (Y).
- They are characterized by high density, high melting point, high conductivity, and high thermal conductance.
- They do not occur in a free state rather are found in mineral oxide ores.
- They occur abundantly but are often not concentrated enough to undertake viable extraction.
- India is almost 100% import-dependent for most rare earth.
- India possesses the 5th highest reserves of rare earth in the world