Reforms In Education Sector:
The Parliamentary Standing Committee carried out a review of education standards, accreditation process, research, examination reforms and academic environment in India’s higher education institutes.
Findings of the Report:
- The higher education department of the Union ministry of Education informed the committee that only 30% of the universities and 20% of the colleges are in the accreditation system.
- Less than 9,000 colleges out of a total of 50,000 colleges are accredited.
- Many deemed universities, in order to make quick money, have started Open Distance Learning courses undermining qualitative research work.
- Several state universities regularly fail to carry out assessments smoothly, often reporting instances like question paper leaks and rampant cases of copying.
- Accreditation is a procedure wherein standardisation happens as to what minimum benchmarks are to be created.
- It is a formal, independent verification that a program or institution meets established quality standards in terms of testing, inspection, or certification.