Astronomers have recently discovered a young star in the violent and tortured environment around the supermassive black hole at the core of the Milky Way galaxy, known as Sagittarius A* (Sgr A*).
- Sagittarius A* (Sgr A*) is a supermassive black hole located at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
- It is located in the constellation Sagittarius.
- It has a mass equivalent to four million Suns.
- It has a diameter of around 5 million kilometers .
- It is mostly dormant and only occasionally absorbs gas or dust.
- The event horizon of the black hole has a radius of 12 million km.
- A black hole is a region in space where gravity pulls so much that even light can not get out.
- The gravity is so strong because matter has been squeezed into a tiny space. This can happen when a star is dying.
- Because no light can get out, it is difficult to detect a black hole.