Sagol Kangjei : Ancient Polo
Home Minister inaugurated a 122-foot-tall statue of a polo player astride a Manipur Pony in Imphal.
- Modern polo is said to have originated from Sagol Kangjei, a sport indigenous to Manipur, in which players ride horses, specifically the Manipur Ponies, which are referenced in records dating back to the 14th century.
- Marjing is considered the God of polo and features a pony as his carrier.
- The Lai-Haraoba festival of the state depicts the life and times of Khori-phaba, the polo-playing god of sports.
- The Manipur Pony is one of five recognised equine breeds of India and has a powerful cultural significance for Manipuri society.
- The Marjing Polo Complex has been developed as a way to conserve the Manipur Pony.