Instant Messaging Platform:
The National Informatics Centre (NIC) has launched an instant messaging platform called Sandes on the lines of WhatsApp.
- NIC is under the aegis of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology. It provides network backbone and e-Governance support to the Central Government, State Governments and UT Administrations.
- It is a Government Instant Messaging System (GIMS) that can be used for official or casual use by any Government employee or public user having a valid Mobile No./Email ID.
- It offers features such as group making, broadcast message, message forwarding and emojis.
- Although there is no option to transfer the chat history between two platforms, the chats on GIMS can be backed up to a users’ email.
- The user will have to re-register as a new user in case they wish to change their registered Email Id or phone number on the App.
- It allows a user to mark a message as confidential, which will allow the recipient to be made aware the message should not be shared with others.