Saraswati Samman Award 2022:
Tamil writer Sivasankari was presented with the ‘Saraswati Samman’ 2022 for her book of memoirs Surya Vamsam.
- Saraswati Samman Award is given annually for outstanding literary works in 22 Indian languages in the last 10 years.
- It is among the highest recognitions in the field of Indian literature.
- The selection follows a rigorous three-tier process leading up to a final decision by Chayan Parishad
- It was instituted by the K. Birla Foundation. (the Vyas Sammanand the Bihari Puraskar are other literary awards instituted by the foundation.)
- It carries a citation, a plaque and prize money of 15 lakh rupees.
- Sivasankari’s literary career spans over five decades.
- She is the author of 36 novels, 48 novellas, 150 short stories, 15 travelogues, seven collections of essays, and three biographies.