Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve : Male Tiger Found Dead
A male tiger was recently discovered dead in the Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve (STR), after getting ensnared in a trap intended for deer.
- Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve is located at the junction of the Eastern and the Western Ghats in the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, in the Erode District of Tamil Nadu.
- Its area is contiguous with the Mudumalai Tiger Reserve, Bandipur Tiger Reserve (Karnataka) and BR Tiger Reserve and Wildlife Sanctuary(Karnataka).
- Together, these reserves forming the Nilgiris biosphere landscape — have the biggest tiger population in the world, at over 280 tigers.
- It is hilly and undulated with altitude ranging between 750m and 1649m.
- It consists of southern tropical dry thorn forests, mixed deciduous forests, semi-evergreen forests, and Riparian forests.
- It is subtropical and dry.
- The summers are hot and dry; the monsoons are wet and cooler, with river flooding.
- Some of the prominent rivers in the region include the Bhavani, Moyar, and Noyyal rivers.
- It is home to several indigenous tribal communities, including the Irula and Kurumba tribes.