Set Up Divyang Department : Maharashtra
The state government of Maharashtra recently approved the formation of a separate government department for the divyang (differently abled).
- The announcement of this development came on the occasion of the International Day of Disabled Persons.
- This comes after 20 years of demand for a separate department for the welfare and security of differently abled people.
- Maharashtra is the first state in India to set up a separate department for Divyang .
- This department is established to serve the physically and mentally disabled people in the state both educationally and professionally.
- It seeks to ensure the welfare of the Divyangs and effectively implement various government schemes targeting them.
- As many as 2,063 posts have been created in the new department and a total outlay of Rs.1,143 crores is provided for it.
- Earlier, all complaints and issues related to differently-abled people came under the jurisdiction of Social Justice Department headed by the Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- All sections looking into the concerns of differently-abled people under the Social Justice and Special Assistance department will be clubbed together to form the Divyang department.
- All schemes implemented for the divyangs will be brought under one roof.
- Earlier, they are routed through the social justice and welfare department.