Spamouflage : Chinese Spam Operation
Meta recently, claimed that it is fighting a Chinese ‘Spamouflage‘ operation.
- Spamouflage is an online Chinese spam operation.
- It pushes positive narratives about China and negative commentary about the United States, Western foreign policies, and critics of the Chinese government.
- Origin: China.
- Targets: Taiwan, the United States, Australia, Britain, Japan, and global Chinese-speaking audiences.
- It mimicked websites of mainstream news outlets in Europe and posted stories about Russia’s war on Ukraine and then spread it online.
- The accounts in the campaign have a tendency to intersperse political posts.
- It has been active on over 50 platforms and forums, including Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and Twitter.
- Companies involved in the campaign were recently sanctioned by the European Union.